Thursday, September 27, 2012

NYX Extreme Matte Lip Cream in Stockholm, Swatches and Review

Ever since I discovered Mac lipsticks, I rarely stray from the brand especially since I don't really wear makeup everyday and a single bullet takes me ages to finish anyway. But NYX matte lip creams have always been something I wanted to try out, even though I am not a fan of mattes in general. When I attended the Maven event a few weeks ago, I saw that Digital Traincase had a booth there and I was able to swatch me some of the lip creams. I took home Stockholm (P280).


I don't really know how NYX describes this color on their website but to me NYX Stockholm appears like a peachy-brown shade that appears warmer than a true nude color.




It comes in a lipgloss-like tube with a spongetip applicator, The texture of the lip cream is what I found most surprising: it was not as dry as I expected, which is a good thing. It did not tug upon application and if you smoosh your lips together, you would even feel a pleasant slip.



The pictures above are pretty much true to appearance. For reference, my skin is warm with yellow undertones, about NC 25-30. Here's how it looks on my lips:


Looking at the closeup of the lip swatch, it might be too easy to assume that it doesn't look that matte (take note that I don't really have any issues with lip dryness or peeling) but it really is matte as matte can be. You know how lipstick would look if you blot it with some translucent powder? That's the look you would get after a couple of minutes.

By the way, I swatched it next to my MAC Cosmo (my fail-safe lip color) just to compare:

Cosmo is above the Stockholm swatch-- as you can see, Cosmo is pink-based while Stockholm is peachier.


By this time, a lot of you ladies who read beauty blogs have likely tried NYX Extreme Matte Lip Creams so this is not so much about providing an in-depth review as it is about giving you a feel for this shade in particular. As NYX is not locally available, most of us have to rely on online swatches to order this so hope this helps. But just in case you wanted my take on this product, here is what I have to say:

Plus Points:
  • Lovely colors and great pigmentation;
  • Feels so light, no waxy lipstick feel;
  • No unpleasant smell or taste;
  • Applies well from the spongetip;
  • Dries to a completely matte finish (I put this as a plus because that's what the product claims to be, so it delivers).
Minus Points:
  • Staying power is less than that of a matte lipstick--more comparable to a lip gloss.
  • Not locally available
Will I repurchase? No. It's a good product but matte really is not my look. I prefer the waxy look of lipstick. Maybe one of these days, I will get to try a NYX lipstick-- they have an impressive color range.

Have you tried NYX Extreme Matte Lip Creams? Are you all over it or is it a pass? Do share!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...