Thursday, October 4, 2012

Queen Helene Mint Julep Masque Review

For the past month or so, my hormones have been acting up. This, combined with my erratic sleeping hours have combined to give me cystic acne breakouts. While makeup could cover up the acne scars, those who have had cystic acne knows that there is absolutely no cover-up for those bumps. I don't really have the time or the patience to have acne surgery right now, and so I sought some home-based remedies.
I bought this 8 oz. tube for P300 on Multiply. 
If you have read my post on the haul I got from last month's Multiply Frenzy, one of the things that I bought was the Queen Helene Mint Julep Masque. This inexpensive clay-based product has been around for years, and has earned a lot of beauty blog reviews, although they are some who say that it has been largely overrated. Well, I have been using it for a month now, which means that its time for me to cast my own vote.

The product information printed on the tube says:     
Mint Julep Masque is the original natural home treatment to help dry up pimples, rinse away blackheads and shrink enlarged pores. Simply apply Mint Julep Masque to your clean face and neck. As it firms and hardens within minutes, it draws out impurities from your pores. After the masque is removed, your skin will feel clean, refreshed and smooth. Even for individuals who are fortunate to be free of skin problems, Mint Julep Masque is a refreshing facial treatment that helps relax tired muscles and ease tension lines on the face and neck.
Note: The regular size of the tube is actually 6 oz. but somehow, I lucked out in buying one that had 33% free.

The Kikay Mom says:
The opening of the tube was sealed with foil. I was so excited to try out the product that I opened it and slathered some on my face within minutes after it was delivered (yes, I washed my face first). The masque looked like thick green toothpaste-- same smell, same minty feel, and similar consistency. I did notice that the product which came out of the tube was a bit drier than the one I got after a few uses, so I could imagine that it can get pretty dried out if allowed to sit unused for months at a time.

It spreads out pretty easily and gives off a pleasant cooling sensation. I like it but if you are not such a fan of mint, the cooling effect may be a little too strong if you apply a thick layer all over the face. It dries in a few minutes but I let it stay for about half an hour before washing it off.

My first impression after rinsing my face was that it felt cleaner, softer, and clearer. But be warned that nothing miraculous really occurred with regards to my breakouts and blackheads: they were still there although a little bit less angry. I proceeded to dab some of the masque on blemishes, and I left it on for the rest of the day (although they started peeling off within two hours).

I have to say that this product really does help dry out acne and pimples. I have dealt with breakouts and gone to enough dermatologists to know how to prick these suckers and I find that spot treatment with the masque helps them come to head sooner. For example, if a pore is just starting to clog and swell -- that stage when you have an irritated bump that has yet to turn into a pimple-- and I put a bit on it before going to bed, by the next morning I can pop it and extract the necrotic tissue. (Note: if you must pop like I do, sterilize and disinfect first!) It then dries out and heals flat afterwards, instead of bring a cystic eyesore than can plague me for two weeks. Since using the Queen Helene masque, the healing time for my breakouts have gone from 1-2 weeks to just 2-4 days.

Every week or so, I like using it as a masque to refresh my skin just to take out any dullness. I am careful not to overdo it though, because I think that it can possibly suck up too much oil from the skin. If that happens, you will actually end up with increased sebum production as the skin's way of compensating. 

Plus Points:

  • Inexpensive
  • Refreshing
  • Easy to use
  • Hygienic packaging (it also comes in a tub though)
  • True to most of product claims
Minus Points:
  • Not widely available. As far as I know, it is only available at Healthy Options, or from online resellers
  • Once opened, limited shelf life because it can easily dry out
  • Dry skin may find this aggravating rather than beneficial
Will I repurchase? Yes! I now consider this product as a staple in my skin care regimen. At this price point, and the fact that it does help my skin look and feel better, it's a sure winner.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...